Thursday, February 4, 2010

Less than 2 days till I leave for the Olympics!














Well the packing has now started, I leave on Saturday for Vancouver. I hope to update this blog for all our patients, that way you can share in my excitment, and the experiences that will last a life time.



A bit of background, I applied to volunteer at the Olympics 2 1/2 years ago through the Canadian Ski Patrol System, and VANOC. I found out at the last minute that elegibility for Olymic selection required World Cup experience, preferably at the World Cup in Whistler as it was the testing event for the Whistler Olympic venue. Applying late for the position was not easy as all the spots had been filled. I was put on a waiting list, and a friend of my wife's (thanks Alex ) was able to pass on her recommendation for me to be part of the team. Two weeks before the event started, I got the call asking if I was still interested, and could I be there in two weeks.



The World Cup race was a great experience, we had great team leads, the training was second to none, and I had a few opportunities to ride in a helicopter. I was even the victim for a practice scenario where I was attached to a backboard and flown from the bottom of a long rope below a helicopter to the medical clinic :) make sure you check out these photos.




















No comments:

Post a Comment